Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Where’s the Lords of Discipline when you need them?


If a picture says a thousand words, this one speaks volumes to me. In fact, as I look at this Citadel Cadet (the guy held in a head-lock by a female cheerleader), I can't help but recall all of those binge-drinking short-haired, straight-backed idiots wearing their ice-cream salesmen uniforms out on the streets of Charlestown, thinking chicks dig them, and showing up to my parties because they knew some random person (girl who was friends of their sister back home) at the party. Did these cadets arrive as three amigos ready to run game? Hardly. They always came in packs of twenty and my deep-seeded rearing of Southern Hospitality would not allow me simply throw these kids out of my house.
The cadets would continue their over-imbibing of alcohol, make barking or some kind of Yut???? sounds and then surprise all of us with their smug sarcasm, baseless criticism and then grace us with a garden-variety of slurs regarding our (CofC men's) sexuality, "hippiness", patriotism and athleticism. It was always good for a laugh, because 1) most of those guys are idiots, and 2) it is kind of an unwritten rule, but we College of Charleston guys entertained or slept with (however you want to interrpret it) the cadets' girlfriends during the week and after the cadet's curfew on the weekends. I almost forgot, thanks guys for doing all of the leg work getting those girls into a nice social disposition.
I guess what I am trying to say is since there is a lack of discipline in the ranks and these hooligans play capture the flag when they should concentrate on a football game, I think they received their just desserts. All of the hubris and machismo in the world can't dig yourself out of this photo and the accompanying video all over the internet. I couldn't imagine being a Citadel grad and seeing this in the paper. VMI may have lost the game, hell, they'd lost their last 8-games prior, but they didn't get schooled by a female cheerleader.
Next time a cadet shows up at one of my parties, I'll do my best to bite my tongue, showing which school in Charleston actually graduates Southern Gentlemen and not remind those Citadel boys they had their "brass tarnished" by another girl. Shannon Faulkner...Shannon Faulkner...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here, here! All the guys I knew that went there hated it anyway. Who wants their last years of freedom to be spent getting yelled at and being told what to do, you got the rest of your life for that. Go Cougars! Party on C of C!!!!