Sunday, December 3, 2006

The Majesty of Rupp Arena




If the Cougs felt slightly intimidated playing Kentucky at Rupp Arena, it is understandable; because I too felt intimidated. I have to admit the place is magical: 7 National Titles hanging proudly from the rafters, 22, 477 well versed in the game of basketball, Kentucky-blue clad fans on hand to watch the Cats play a mid-major team from Charleston, SC, and not a bad seat in the house. Seriously, I got a nose-bleed on the way up to our seats, but fortunately, Kentucky built Rupp Arena up, and not out, so you are looking practically straight down at the floor and what you can't see you can watch on one of the numerous televisions around the arena.
My step-dad, Dan (UK, class of 1970), hadn't been to Rupp Arena since Dani was born (some 23 years ago) so it was a very special time for us, as he returned and I made my first trip to Rupp. Granted I was let-down that Dani kept her CofC shirt under wraps and even my dear sweet Mother wore blue, but it was a great experience, and I'd like to thank Coach Cremins for scheduling the game.
(Photos of Rupp Arena and JET outside of Rupp, compliments of CofC Sports Fan)


No comments: